How do you know whether you have a dry or dehydrated skin? Sometimes these two terms are used synonymously.
- Dry Skin: Dry skin is a skin type ie skin can be dry, oily or normal. Dry skin produces less sebum. When skin produces less oil/lipids, the skin can get itchy, flaky, prone to lines and cracks. Less lipids can cause dehydrated skin.
What steps can you take to mitigate dry skin?
Lipids are necessary to maintain skin barrier function and to prevent moisture loss from the skin. The lipid layer in the epidermis forms an envelop over the corneocytes and prevents moisture loss. This ensures that the outer layer of the skin remains hydrated despite the conditions it is exposed to. Skin lipid envelop is made of free fatty acids, ceramides and cholesterols.
If you have Dry Skin, you can take the following steps to mitigate it:
Incorporate these food high in essential fatty acids : Avocados, walnuts and other nuts, chia seeds, flax seed or linseed, sunflower seeds, pepitas etc.
Use these oils for cooking or for stir fry : cold pressed coconut oil, sesame oil, ground nut oil.
Olive oil, macadamia oil, avocado oil, hazelnut oil is suitable for drizzling on salads.
- Skincare regime:
Dry skin benefits from creams, lotions and serums consisting of plant oils, plant butters and cosmetic waxes. Use products consisting of plant oils and butters high in essential fatty acids & phyto- chemicals like cold pressed unrefined oils of Pomegranate, Açai, Apricot kernel, Avocado, Rosehip, Argan, Jojoba, Shea butter, Chia are extremely beneficial to dry skin. Look out for products containing plant squalene and ceramides.
- Dehydrated Skin: Dehydrated Skin is a skin condition and not a skin type. Oily skin can experience dehydration too. Skin dehydration is a condition where our skin lacks water. Our skin has natural moisturizing factor which draws water from other tissues and air to keep our skin moist and supple. But sometimes if our skin is exposed to harsh conditions such as staying indoors with excess heating and air conditioning, over sun exposure, drinking less water, too much exfoliation, chemical peel treatment, makeup, poor diet can make skin dehydrated. Dehydrated skin lacks suppleness, feels less plump, looks ashy.
If you have Dehydrated Skin, you can take the following steps:
- Diet and hydration
We have to address dehydration inside out first. Make sure that the body is replenished with optimum hydration. Instead of drinking water directly from the tap, drink filtered water by using a water filter system. Using a filter system ensures pure water minus heavy metals and fluoride that may be present in tap water. Incorporate nature’s best hydration in the form of Coconut water instead of drinking soft drinks and bottled juices. You can make tonic water at home by adding holy Basil leaves, lime slices and mint leaves to a jug of cold filtered water.
Eat fruits and vegetables like cucumbers, kiwi, berries, celery, tomato, watermelons etc for replenishing the body with hydration, vitamins and minerals.
- Skin care regime
Look out for products like facial mist, lotions, water based serums consisting of aloe Vera, floral waters like rose, neroli, chamomile floral waters, humectants like glycerine, honey and hyaluronic acids which can replenish moisture on your skin.
Healthy diet, exercise, regular and consistent use of high performing skin care products with effective natural ingredients can help your skin regain its strength and natural glow.
- What products from PetalDew Skincare range will suit your skin type and skin condition?
Our skin need right amount of moisturization (lipids) and hydration (water). Oily skin can be dehydrated and a dry skin can lead to dehydration because there is less lipid to trap the water in the skin.
If you would like to know what products you can choose from PetalDew Skincare range for your skin type and skin conditions, here are my recommendation:
- Face Oil Serum : Suitable for dry, mature and sensitive skin. The plant oils, extracts and essential oils used are fast to medium absorbing to ensure that your skin is moisturised through out the day without leaving your skin greasy. The ingredients used are 100% certified organic. Rosehip oil targets pigmentation. Chia, rice bran softens the skin and prevents cracks on the skin. Pomegranate has anti-ageing properties especially suitable for matured skin. Açai full of anthocyanins acts as antioxidant. Coriander oil is anti-bacterial and sweet orange soothes the skin and rejuvenate the senses blended with spicy coriander.
- Facial Tonic Mist : Suitable for dehydrated Skin. Floral waters of pure Bulgarian roses and Neroli with aloe Vera, glycerine and Kakadu Plums replenish your skin with hydration. Whenever your skin need hydration, 2 pumps of fine mist will hydrate and quench your thirsty skin.
- The Delightful - Duo : Suitable for dry, sensitive, oily, dehydrated and mature skin types. The delightful duo comprises of our full size Face Oil Serum and our Facial Tonic Mist available at a discounted price of AUD78.00.
- Skin Cream : A night treatment face butter cum a body butter made with raw Shea butter, raw mango butter, Cold pressed Avocado and Apricot kernel oil. It has chamomile infused Jojoba oil and lavender to calm our senses and soothe inflamed skin. Suitable for dry, matured and sensitive skin.
- Exfoliating cleanser : A powder cleanser which is activated by adding water/ floral water/ Facial tonic mist/ coconut water/ nut milk can be used as a daily gentle exfoliating cleanser to slough off the dead skin and remove surface impurities and grime. Our exfoliating cleanser doubles up as a weekly mask. This product is beneficial to acne prone and oily skin. Made with anti- bacterial ingredient wild turmeric which also gives your skin a beautiful glow. The cleanser is also made with marshmallow root, cucumber, marigold flower extract. Skin softening Colloidal oats and green bean powder used in the cleanser are naturally rich in saponins.
- Blissful Balm: A potent golden yellow vegan balm formulated specially for dry and sensitive skin. An effective spot treatment on cuts, flaky skin and minor skin rash, this vegan and water less balm is made with raw earthy Kokum butter, squalene rich olive oil, Shea butter, Babassu seed oil, Passion fruit oil, rice bran wax, seabuckthorn extract etc. Suitable for Dry, sensitive and matured skin types.
- Skin Treat Oil: A versatile golden dry oil that can be used from Top to toe. It is a scalp massage oil, a protectant oil before using your hair straightener, body moisturiser and a bath oil. Skin Treat oil is designed and made with plant oils with smaller molecular weight. In lay man terms - this oil won’t sit on your skin and clog your pores. Skin treat oil is a fast absorbing oil that keeps your skin moisturised and supple throughout the day. You will find when using that Skin treat oil moisturise your skin well enough that you won’t feel like using a body lotion afterwards. Try to see the results. Made with cold pressed oils of Macadamia (similar to our skin sebum), Argan, Camellia and Jojoba. The Essential Oils of pink grapefruit, Petitgrain, Frankincense invigorate your senses and has rejuvenating effect on the skin. Do you know that petitgrain oil is a natural deodoriser? Skin Treat Oil is suitable for all skin types specially for Dry and Matured skin.
Link to buy Skin Treat Oil : https://www.petaldew.com.au/collections/skincare-bodycare/products/skin-treat-oil
PetalDew believes in ‘Slow Skincare’ movement. It takes time for good things to happen and same logic is applied to achieve a strong, resilient and glowing skin. PetalDew products are designed as multi-purpose products. We don’t promise instant results. Rather we believe that your skincare ritual should be consistent to enjoy long term results. PetalDew skincare and body care products are lovingly handmade in Melbourne, Australia in small batches. All products are made fresh to order using 98% Australian certified organic plant based ingredients, natural preservatives (where applicable) and antioxidants (where applicable). The ingredients used in the formulation are not heated during formulation. If any product involves heating of any ingredient, care is taken not to overheat the ingredient to preserve the valuable nutrients. Your order comes with a ‘Thank you card’ and a product info card (with product information - how to apply, usage, net weight, Made on date and Ingredients used).
Thank you for stopping by and hope this article is useful to you in choosing right skincare and body care products if you have dry or dehydrated skin.
With love from PetalDew Skincare. ❤️
About the Founder :
Bhuvi is the founder and formulator of PetalDew Skincare range. She formulates all skincare and body care products in her home lab. She is a certified organic natural skincare formulator - A graduate from Formula Botanica - world’s leading accredited online Organic Cosmetic Science School. Love for formulating natural skincare started back in 2010 when Bhuvi’s daughter suffered from extremely dry skin. As a mother, she was not comfortable using petroleum based products loaded with mineral oil, synthetic chemicals and synthetic preservatives; She said No No to steroid based creams or Hydroquinone which was prescribed for her infant. Bhuvi started exploring natural and safe ways to mitigate dryness and that is when she started making creams, balms, body butters and massage oils using effective natural ingredients for her family. She realised it took fair amount of time for the skin to heal but she was persistent and trusted in Nature’s healing power. In few months time her daughter’s skin healed completely. Slowly her hobby of making skincare turned into a passion and eventually into a business. Bhuvi further strengthened her formulation skills by finishing her Diploma from Formula Botanica in 2016 and is in the process of completing Advanced Diploma from Formula Botanica. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Bhuvi was a Trade Finance professional working for a Top 4 bank in Australia.