I have always wanted to make my own toothpaste and use it instead of conventional toothpastes. I find that conventional toothpastes are loaded with harmful additives and synthetic toxins like fluoride, SLS, propylene glycol and other harmful petroleum based ingredients. Nowadays the market is also flooded with natural toothpastes where you can find them in health and organic shops but nothing beats making your own and enjoying the results.
- Extra virgin coconut oil 2 TBSP
- Kitchen grade natural baking soda (Bob's mill baking soda) 1 TBSP
- Activated coconut charcoal (fine powder) 1/2 TSP
- 100% Peppermint essential oil - 6 DROPS
- 100% Clove essential oil - 3 DROPS
- Xylitol (natural plant based sugar-free sweetener) – 1 TSP
- Calcium bentonite clay (Natural and kitchen grade. It helps to bind all the ingredients together and also contains trace minerals) – 1 TBSP
BENEFITS OF THE INGREDIENTS USED:
1. Extra virgin coconut oil:
Coconut oil is high in Lauric acid; a medium chain saturated fatty acid. Human body can benefit from Lauric acid for its ability to convert into Monolaurin, a compound which has the ability to destroy viruses and kill harmful bacteria.
2. Natural baking soda:
Natural Baking soda is made from the deposits of mineralized sodium bicarbonate. It is a great cleanser and odor absorber. Baking soda is mildly abrasive and helps to remove surface stains. It may not be suitable for people with very sensitive teeth. For people with sensitive teeth, use baking soda with caution to prevent damage to your enamel. Remember that Baking soda will not remove deeper, older stains. You may need to see your dentist to use a product that is specifically formulated for whitening teeth. If you have braces, baking soda may soften the glue. Just be mindful.
3. Activated coconut charcoal:
Activated charcoal is made by burning a source of carbon such as wood chips or better yet, coconut shells. The high temperature removes all the oxygen and gets activated with gases like steam. What is produced is a highly absorbent material with millions of tiny pores that capture, bind, and remove poisons, heavy metals, chemicals, and intestinal gases which have thousands of times more weight than the charcoal itself. Its natural adhesive quality helps to bind with teeth-staining culprits like coffee, tea, wine etc. When you spit it out, all the gunk comes out. Make sure the activated coconut charcoal has finer texture and not gritty as it may damage the enamel. Also buy your activated coconut charcoal from a reputed supplier or an organic health shop.
4. 100% Peppermint essential oil:
Peppermint essential oil with its high menthol content has a cooling action and helps to freshen up your breath.
5. 100% Clove bud essential oil:
Clove bud essential oil has anti-bacterial properties and is a natural germicide too. It gives relief to tooth-aches and helps in removing bad breath.
Xylitol is a natural ‘sugar-free’ sweetener which is usually extracted from birch wood or corn-cobs. Make sure you buy xylitol brand that is extracted from GMO-free corn cobs. Xylitol may help to prevent tooth cavities.
7. Calcium bentonite clay:
Bentonite clay is composed of ash made from volcanoes. The other name that bentonite clay is typically given, Montmorillonite clay, stems from the region of France called Montmorillon, where the clay was first discovered. Bentonite clay is known to have an abundance of trace minerals including calcium, magnesium, silica, sodium, copper, iron, and potassium. Bentonite clay binds to unhealthy substances in the mouth, such as around the teeth and on the tongue and gums and helps to remove them.
Harmful ingredients in conventional toothpaste:
Coconut Oil and Oil Pulling:
Xylitol for Teeth:
Activated coconut charcoal and Teeth:
1. Krenzelok EP, Heller MB. In vivo comparative effectiveness of five commercial activated charcoal products. Vet Hum Toxicol 1986;28:498‑506.
Sodium Bicarbonate for Teeth:
HOW TO MAKE YOUR NATURAL TOOTHPASTE:
- Place all the above ingredients in a glass bowl.
- Stir well with a wooden spoon to form a thick paste.
- Store it in a airtight glass jar.
- This makes about 30 grams (approx) of toothpaste.
- When using, scoop out the paste using a small wooden/ stainless steel spoon and use it with your toothbrush as normal.
- The consistency and taste of the toothpaste may not be same as commercial toothpaste.
- It does not foam as it do not have any foaming agent like harmful SLS.
- The coconut oil may melt quickly in your mouth turning the paste into a thick liquid in your mouth.
- This toothpaste is slightly salty. But you have the option to add 1 small tsp of xylitol when making the toothpaste for sweet flavour.
- Activated charcoal will temporarily blacken your teeth. Do not fear. Once you rinse it out well with water, there will be no black residue left on your teeth.
- Before mixing in coconut oil with dry ingredients, you can grind the dry ingredients in a small spice grinder to have a finer consistency powder. Then mix the coconut oil. Increase or decrease coconut oil to retain paste like consistency.