Stuffed Portobello mushrooms are the best thing to have for breakfast. They can be made quickly and with different kind of stuffing – Vegetarian/ Vegan . Portobello mushrooms are quiet bigger than button mushrooms. It comes from the same strain as what we would call the common mushroom, a strain called “Agaricus bisporus” (http://kitchenproject.com/history/Mushrooms/Portobello/index.htm)
Portobello mushrooms are normally used to make stuffed mushroom recipes. You can make any type of stuffing – with leftover vegetable curry or with any other stuffing of your choice.
Stuffed Portobello mushrooms are easy to make and it hardly takes thirty minutes to prepare it.
Today I decided to make Parmesan crusted stuffed Portobello mushroom with Kale and Bell peppers garnished with ripe avocado, cilantro and walnuts. Adding walnuts brings out the nutty taste of the mushroom.
Ingredients: (to serve 3 people)
- Portobello mushrooms – 3 nos
- Bell Peppers/ Capsicums – 2 medium sizes (of different colors)
- Finely chopped kale – 2 cups
- Extra virgin 0live oil
- Clove of garlic
- Cayenne pepper powder/ fresh chillis (I prefer to use fresh green chillis)
- Parmesan cheese – 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Ripe avocado – 1 nos
- Cilantro leaves
- Walnuts (for garnishing)
- Your choice of spice mix
How to make it:
- Cut the bell peppers/ capsicums into small cubes. Chop kale finely. Keep it aside.
- Wash the mushrooms. Remove the inside stem and pat it dry with paper towel.
- Place the mushrooms on the baking tray and coat the mushrooms with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté garlic and fresh chillis for 30 seconds.
- Add bell peppers/capsicums and sauté them for not more than 2 minutes. Do not overcook them as it will be cooked in the oven as well.
- Add kale and allow it to wilt. (Do not overcook)
- Add spice powder and salt and turn off the stove.
- Stuff the mixture inside the mushroom.
- Sprinkle finely grated parmeasan cheese on top and cover the stuffing with parmesan cheese.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms in the oven and grill them until you see brown crust forming on parmesan cheese. Take it out from the oven.
- Garnish the stuffed Portobello mushrooms with ripe avocado, cilantro and walnuts. Eat it when hot.
Enjoy the “Parmesan crusted stuffed Portobello mushroom with Kale and Bell peppers”.
Bye for now.