Simply exotic. That is how I describe my hand pounded dry fruits facial masque fit for a queen.
This recipe is an inspiration taken from ‘Hand pounded organic fruit scrub’ by Forest essentials where they use fermented fruits and herbs in their organic fruit scrub. After seeing that product in one of their stores, I straightaway wanted to try making my own and easy version of a facial masque or a scrub incorporating dry fruits and nuts.
First, I manually hand pounded each ingredients in a mortar and pestle. The ingredients I used in this DIY skin care facial masque recipe are dried apricots, dried grapes (raisins), dates, prunes, walnuts, almonds with other skin enhancing additives like pure rose water, honey, dates syrup and saffron strands (Yummy!)
why did I hand pound the ingredients?
- Hand pounding the ingredients releases and preserves the aroma and the nutrients of the ingredients.
- Also, we can control the consistency and the texture of the ingredients used in this recipe by hand pounding like how we want – coarse or smooth. If it is coarse, use it as a scrub. If you want it smooth, use it as a facial masque.
- When hand pounding the walnuts, you will notice that walnut meal releases its oil which is a very good nourishment for your skin.
Tip: If you want a double smooth consistency, you can whisk the final product for 30 to 40 seconds in a blender.
Benefits of hand pounded dry fruits facial masque
- The dry fruits and nuts used in this facial masque contains full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that helps to nourish, moisturize, smoothen and exfoliate the skin.
- It gives a natural glow to the complexion.
- This is an ultimate skin food. Yes, you can eat it too. Make sure that rose water you use is 100% pure.
- It is suitable for all skin types.
NOTE: Since this recipe do not use any preservative, it is advisable to make it in small quantity or in small batches and store it in an air-tight container.
Please store the masque in the refrigerator and use it within three to four days. Use a clean dry spoon and put the required quantity in your palm and apply the masque to your face and neck area with your clean finger.
Ingredients used -
- Dried apricots – 2 to 3 apricots
- Raisins – 1 tablespoon
- Pitted dates – 2 to 3 dates
- Pitted prunes – 2 prunes (optional)
- Walnuts – Handful
- Almonds – Handful
- Pure rose water for soaking the dried apricots, raisins, dates and almonds. Also you need rose water when pounding the ingredients to a fine paste.
- Dates syrup – 1 teaspoon (Optional)
- Honey -1 tablespoon
- 3 to 4 Saffron strands
Method of preparation -
1. Two to three hours before hand pounding the ingredients, soak the dried apricots, dates and raisins in pure rose water. The fruits are soaked so that they become soft and plump which will be easier to pound.
Note: If the pitted prunes are already soft, there is no need to soak them in rose water.
2. Also, soak the almonds four hours in rose water before pounding. Soaking the almonds helps you to peel off the skin easily.
3. Pound the walnuts first to a fine powder in a clean mortar and pestle and keep the powdered walnut aside.
4. Next, pound the soaked almonds to a fine paste. If needed, add few drops of rose water to make it smooth and keep the almond paste aside.
5. Pound the soaked dried apricots, raisins and dates, prunes to a fine paste. Make sure you pound little quantities at a time and not the whole lot. You will find that it is easy and quick to pound little quantities of dry fruits.
6. Finally add all the ingredients i.e. powdered walnuts, almond paste to already pounded fruits and mix everything well with the pestle and pound.
7. To the mixture, add honey, dates syrup, saffron strands and pound again until it reaches a silky texture.
Apply this exotic hand pounded face masque to your clean face and the neck area and leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes until it becomes dry. After 30 minutes, splash some water on to your face and massage your face gently in circular motion and wash the masque off with warm water.
Pat your face dry to reveal a healthy and glowing skin.
You will definitely notice a visible difference in your skin with this exotic hand pounded dry fruits facial masque – A super skin food that feeds your skin with health and glow. It is good nourishment for winter dry skin.
Bye for now – with love from PetalDew – Nature’s nurture.